Monday, November 17, 2008

The Texas State Fair

Ah... the smell of Corney dogs and fried food and barnyard animals. Wow.... it's amazing that we love the fair and continue to go back, but we do. Kyra had a great time.

The "Little Hands on the Farm" exhibit was so much fun. In this area she gets to plant, and collect fruit from the trees, and eggs from the hens, and milk from the cows, and drive a tractor, and then 'sell' it all back to get a treat at the end. It's geared toward kids ages 3-6, but even being young she caught on to the tasks pretty well and loved every minute.



The petting zoo was a riot to watch. Had she been able, she would have taken all 50 goats home with her. She had little fear of any of the animals. She fed the bison, and petted the sheep, and the pigs, and kangaroos, but by far her favorite were the goats. She gave them hugs and talked to them and petted and fed and followed her favorites around the pen. She was so stinkin' cute!








On the way through the fairgrounds Kyra found a water fountain. We could have spent all day at the water fountain. I have to take a moment here to thank Jen (my sister-in-law) for the good advice early-on to always have an extra outfit in the diper bag. It came in handy this day. And I'm so glad I could let her run without worrying what the devil she was going to wear when she was done. She spent a good half an hour in the water, and when I say in the water I mean in the middle of the fountain, she is no bench sitter. If you can be more wet than drenched that's what she was, but look at the joy on her face. You can't buy that.

After our fun in the fountain we headed over to the butterfly exhibit. Kyra loves butterflies, but found that the poster of a butterfly that she could put her hands all over was much more fun to play with and look at than those elusive fluttery things in the air. She calls the orange and black butterflies "Monicas."


Bye...

5 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Awwww, she's getting so big. I don't think I've ever seen a kid hug a goat. That's very impressive! She's so big and strong, I guess she knew she had nothing to fear. And I love those water fountain pics! You know what that means, lots of sprinkler park this summer! Hurray! Kyra we love you!

jenn said...

Somebody listened to my advice? Even I don't listen to myself as often as I should! Glad it helped because the pix of Kyra in the fountain are FANTASTIC!

I'm not a fan of fairs- dirty, smelly, crowded... just bring me back a scone and some cotton candy.

georgia-mom said...

That was such a fun day! Who needs to ride rides when there's all that other stuff to do.
Let's do it again next year!

Angela said...

I cannot believe how BIG and BEAUTIFUL she is. That picture with her little hands covering her giggle... I LOVE HER!

It's very nice to see you posting again. It was crazy to go months without and then find three in the same day. I am very proud of your blogging efforts.

The Jacksons said...

Holy Crap! You're back!!