Sunday, August 19, 2007

The new and the old

Things that have changed:

Kyra climbs onto couches and chairs all by herself

She's added the words "dog" (sounds like "awgh"), "car" (sounds like "cah"), "up" (sounds exactly like up... I vote this as the most frequently used word in her vocabulary), "ball" ("bah"), and (inevitably) "no, no, no" which she uses when she is in the process of doing something that I've recently told her she shouldn't do - i.e. open the cabinets - (see below).

She's learned how to open the child-proof (ha!) locks on all the cabinets

She twirls (my favorite)

She's realizing that I don't have to be her only friend. Previous to now, it seemed that if I was in a room, then to Kyra I was the only person in the room (there were alwasy the exceptions when we were with grandma and grandpa and/or daddy). But, now that I've started teaching piano lessons 3 mornings a week (I teach at the students' home), Kyra is slowly learning how to play in the same room as me with people who aren't me. Hooray! As a side note, I credit piano lessons for the fact that one of her first words is dog (two of the three lessons have dogs in the house), and for her new trick below.

She loves to play the big piano (ok... it's a keyboard, but humor me). In days not long ago, she enjoyed sitting on my lap at the piano while we both played. Now, she pats the chair at the side of the piano until I sit in it, and then she opens a music book and plays while I listen. I've attempted to play along, but she stops, and puts her hands in the air until I follow suit. Once my hands are off the keyboard she gives me a smile and continues to play. These little piano lessons just melt my heart.

Things that remain the same:

She loves the word "Hi" and uses it all the time

Old MacDonald is still a favorite - (and there's still no O at the end of EIEIEIEIEIE)

Her little piano has not been replaced by the big one. It is still a daily source of entertainment.

Dirt and rocks are still way more fascinating than anything else outside, though water comes in at a close second (however, she has yet to discover mud - the best of both worlds - I've intentionally kept her away... I figure she'll discover it soon enough).

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I can't belive how much she's growing up. What a doll!